Literature; SONG ANALYSIS 'WIND BENEATH MY WINGS' (Bette Midler)

Wind Beneath My Wings (BETTE MIDLER)

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine.
You always walked a step behind.

I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
Only a face without a name.
I never once heard you complain.
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
You as the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all right here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth
, oh baby
I would be nothing without you.

In my opinion, this song is very touching when I heard it. Moreover, the manner of the terms and the voice of singer are very appropriate and beautiful. So I really feel interested with this song.
I think the song is generally about someone special that always helps and supports herself in many cases in the past. The time can be seen in the grammatical structures which use past tense mostly and in the line 13-14 “It might have appeared to go unnoticed; but I’ve got it all right here in my heart.” These mean that the special one has appeared and gone without any notice and all the memory is saved in her heart, means that the memory always disturbs her life because ‘heart’ can be identified as the feeling. So, she always feels the impact of the past memory in her life.
The first evidence of the special one’s helps and supports are on the title of the song “Wind Beneath My Wings” which refers to that one’s helps and supports. As described at the stanza 3 in line 12, ”You as the wind beneath my wings,” which that special one is indicated as the wind that helps her to fly and she is probably indicated as the bird that needs the wind. This is more clearly when supported by the line 11 “I can fly higher than an eagle” which means the ability to do something is because of someone’s favor which is indicated as the wind.  
The second evidence is described in the line 5-6 “I was the one with all the glory;
while you were the one with all the strength”. These mean that she is indicated as the glory person because she always gets the favor of that special one. On the contrary, that special one is indicated as the strong person because he always gives the favor and never complain with what he do and what he gets “I never once heard you complain” (stanza 2, line 8).
The third evidence is described in the line 9 at the stanza 3 “Did you ever know that you're my hero” which probably means that the special one is considered as the hero because of his favor for so long time or probably because of his favor without any reward. I guess this line has a connection with the last line “I would be nothing without you” which means that someone who is considered as the hero is very hard to get him lose in her life. So, the loss of him makes her feeling get hard and sad.
This song teaches us about the power of someone which is restricted. So, everyone needs helps from other people. Furthermore, the person who becomes the hero for others would be always remembered even has died. Therefore, we must try to be the hero for everyone with everything we have and we can do, in order to our virtue would be the lesson for everyone in our life or in the future.


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Plot Structure Analysis of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility

Book Report: The Tale of Genji

An Analysis on the Character of Ebenezer Scrooge in Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol